Sunday, March 1, 2009

Success!

I started a program 8 weeks ago through CrossFit Central called "I Am Crossfit."  The premise of the program was to see what kind of results one could attain following a strict diet (The Zone, of course...) and training as much as their body would allow (I followed a 3 on, 1 off schedule).  I have never followed a "diet" per se, but have for the most part always eaten more or less healthy foods (minus the 4 years abusing my liver at Stetson U)...

I had no expectations when I started January 3rd.  I wanted to use the 8 weeks as an experiment - an experiment with my body - to see where I could get and what kind of results I could achieve.  I have been an elite athlete at the college level: I went into my freshman year of college at 190 lbs., able to bench press 275 lbs. and squat 1 1/2 times my body weight 20 times.  I could run 2 miles in 10:30. I was in shape!

But those days have long since come and gone, and at the beginning of 2009 I was not where I wanted to be physically or mentally.  The "I Am Crossfit" opening workout and body assessments (lots of measurements were taken, but these are the most telling): 

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 182.4
Body Fat: 9.4 %
Waist: 33.5
Workout: 3 rounds of: 400m run; 15 pull-ups; 7 hang cleans @ 95lbs = 11:45. 

Blegh.

So started the diet and the workouts... They were both frustrating at first (my body had to adapt to the new foods and quantities I was giving it) and the workouts were brutal.  But by week 3 I could already see results.  I was getting a little more definition (I could see my abs for the first time in 6 years) and I was getting stronger.  

Fast forward to 28 February, 2009. 

"I Am Crossfit" Finale and Results:

Height: 6'0" 
Weight: 172.6
Body Fat: 7.6%
Waist: 30.5
Workout (same as above, but increased hang clean weight from 95 lbs. to 135 lbs.) = 9:23.

I was impressed.

I dropped 10 lbs. and 2% body fat, increased my weight by 40 lbs. and knocked over 2 minutes off my workout time.  No time to stop and think about it though. I've got The Fittest Games Challenge coming up this Saturday, March 7th, and the CrossFit games qualifiers May 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 

Time to go --- dial it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment