Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Change is GOOD

Three different bar placements for three different squats.

September is here, and that can only mean one thing: TESTING. We cannot make plans and set up programs (for ourselves or anyone else) if we do not know where we are: what are strengths and weaknesses are. This month the coaches of CrossFit Central and pupils at SICFIT Austin will be tested in all of their major lifts, gymnastics movements, max efforts and METCON capabilities.

Yesterday my friend and training partner Travis Holley and I hit up 1-rep max back squats for day one of our testing. Travis uses the low-bar back squat (something I have never tried before) and I was tempted to try it out for myself. 

RESULT?

A 60# PR at 385#. 'Nuff said. This puts me at a 970# Total (405# deadlift, 385# squat, 180# press). 

Today we tested ourselves at max effort pullups. 39 reps was my number, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed... I was thinking I would be (and I SHOULD be in the 50-60 rep range). My grip failed me. Oh well! Now I know what I need to work on. Grip strength! 

For those of you out there who are struggling with programming, asking yourselves what you need to do to take it to the next level... what you need to do to push your potential, you must first find out where you are! 

Remember, CHANGE IS GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment