Friday, February 20, 2009

My first post and the big question: HOW DID I GET HERE???

How did I get here? 

It's a question often asked by many - either out of frustration or out of joy (this sucks, how did i get here? or i love it! how did i get here?)  I have been asking myself this question recently...

I guess I should start off my blog with a little bit about myself: 

I was born and raised in Houston, TX.  My parents have always supported me and been there for me since day 1, and I would most definitely not be where I am today without them.  They instilled many virtues in me and molded the foundations for who I would become.  Suffice it to say that everything I have and everything I am is due to them and I thank them for who they are. 

I grew up playing multiple sports :: everything but football -- I wasn't allowed :-( :: and when I was 10 decided I wanted to be a goalkeeper (soccer) and so started on my path to where I am now. I was afforded the opportunity to travel extensively around Texas, the US, ad the world because of soccer, and I credit this beautiful sport with putting me where I am now. It gave me my love of travel, my interest and knowledge of the world, and many other things too numerous to explain here.  

Soccer also started me on my path to learning a new language: Spanish.  Growing up playing soccer in Texas, I was surrounded by the language and the culture.  I started studying Spanish at 13, and knew immediately that I wanted not merely to become proficient, but to become fluent.  I continued studying through high school and then into college where it became my major. 

At this time I also earned a scholarship to Stetson University to play soccer for the Hatters - and my choice to go there was probably one of the best I have ever made.  I spent 4 years of my life exploring my athletic prowess, learning and studying extensively, and drinking enough alcohol to kill an army of small elephants...

So things are starting to come together: soccer, spanish, studies, parties... almost time to graduate...

What was I to do?  It was February of my senior year (I graduated in May) and I had not put out my resume, had not gone on any interviews, and had really shown no real interest in my future.  I thought I would go to law school, but that never really took off. 

I started an application to go into the Peace Corp, but then in March - much to my joy and surprise - my advisor told me of a program in Spain that would allow me to teach English in an elementary school and get paid a nice little salary for only 16 hours of work a week with no work on Friday!  I jumped at the opportunity: filled out the application, sent it in, was accepted, and before I knew it was on a plane Madrid-bound. 

I spent the next two years of my life living, working and traveling around Spain and Europe.  A dream life.  Undoubtedly two of the best, most rewarding and most fulfilling years of my life.  But all good things must come to an end...

I came back to the US in July of 2008 and worked at my second home - summer camp - like I was accustomed to doing for the summer.  But in August, camp was over and I once again had no work and no idea or real motivation for my future...

Until one day I was perusing Craigslist.com (ya, I know...) with Myriam looking for jobs (as I had been for weeks), and she pointed out one that caught her eye: "Do you like yoga, running, athletics in general?"  I thought to myself: hell ya, that's right up my alley - it must be a scam... surely too good to be true. I clicked the link and read the job offer.  It was for some company called lulamon... lulumon... oh ya: lululemon athletica -- and they were offering a position for their store.  But I had worked retail before, and was skeptical.

But I went in for an interview with a couple of cute, down-to-earth girls, and saw what it was all about, and I couldn't turn them down when they offered my a spot on the team.  How lucky I was (and am...) :-)
 
But I was out of shape.  REALLY out of shape.  3 years removed from anything even remotely resembling "training."  Once an elite athlete playing NCAA Division I Soccer, I was now a mere shadow of what I once was.  Mentally and physically I was dull and soft.  Too much living the easy life.  Too much sangria and way too many tapas.  I loved my life in Spain, but looking back, I realize I only had some of what I wanted.  I had the social life, but not the spark and challenge I was looking for.  I was about to get what I asked for... 


No comments:

Post a Comment